Great Snack Ideas for Kids
Active kids are hungry kids. Healthy snacks are a great way to help keep them going through the day. Healthy snacks also help kids to get all the nutrition they need for their growing minds and bodies. Healthy snacks can even help make up for food groups or nutrients children missed out on during meals. Healthy snacking can be an important part of a child’s day. Remember, children have much smaller stomachs than adults so they need to eat smaller portions more often during the day.
Make it wholesome
Think fruit, vegetables, whole grains and snacks that provide vitamins, minerals and fibre.
Healthy snacking tips for kids
- Be creative. Make healthy foods fun by cutting them into shapes and using lots of colour.
- Let your kids join in. What is your child’s favourite healthy food? Plan a snack around it.
- Be a good role model. If you snack healthy, your child is more likely to as well.
- Offer snacks no sooner than two hours before mealtime. This way, a child is less likely to be too full for regular meals.
Simple snack ideas for kids
- Banana roll-ups: whole wheat tortilla, peanut butter, and banana slices
- Cut-up fruit and yogurt dip
- Cut-up veggies and hummus
- Yogurt with crushed whole grain crackers or granola mixed in
- Vegetable soup and whole grain crackers
- Whole grain cereal and low-fat milk
- Quesadilla made with a whole wheat tortilla and beans and/or cheese
Like us on Facebook and join in the natural living conversation!