Hearty Banana Muffins Recipe
YIELD: 12 muffins
2 1⁄2 cups crushed Kashi* Honey Almond Flax cereal
1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1⁄2 cup honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 cups mashed organic bananas (about 3 large bananas)
1/2 cup organic nonfat milk (or plain organic soy milk)
2 organic egg whites (or equivalent egg substitute)
1/2 cup expeller-pressed canola oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine cereal, whole wheat pastry flour, honey, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the banana, milk, egg whites, canola oil and vanilla.
4. Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Spoon batter evenly into lightly oiled muffin tins.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers of the muffins comes out clean, or about 20 minutes. Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature.