Cherry and Banana Stuffed French Toast with Maple Crème Recipe
Mom will be thrilled with this easy, baked version of French toast on Mother’s Day. The honey wheat bread slices are stuffed with cinnamon-scented, mashed banana and dried tart cherries before being dipped in egg and baked to golden perfection.
Preparation Time : 20 Minutes
Total Time : 35 Minutes
4 (1-inch-thick) slices honey whole wheat bread (about 12 oz. total)
1 medium ripe organic banana
1/4 cup dried organic tart cherries
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 organic eggs slightly beaten
1/2 cup organic fat free milk
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1/2 cup organic plain low fat Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 1/3 cups sliced organic strawberries or organic red raspberries
1. Cut each bread slice in half. With small sharp knife carefully cut pocket in each piece, starting at the cut edge.
2. In small bowl mash banana. Stir in cherries and cinnamon. Spread banana mixture inside of pockets.
3. In shallow dish beat together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Soak stuffed bread slices in egg mixture, generously coating both sides. Place on 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan lined with lightly oiled parchment paper. Bake at 450° F for 10 minutes.
4. Turn bread slices. Sprinkle tops with sliced almonds. Continue to bake at 450° F for 5 to 7 minutes more or until almonds begin to toast.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt and 3 tablespoons maple syrup. Transfer toast slices to serving plates. Sprinkle with strawberries. Drizzle yogurt mixture on each.