YIELD: 18 cookies
2 cups crushed Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) organic unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup organic cane sugar, divided
1 large organic egg
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup organic cane sugar for Garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats, or grease with butter.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the crushed cereal, flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
3. In the bowl or a stand mixer or using a hand-held mixer, beat the butter and ½ cup of the cane sugar on medium speed until the butter lightens in color and the sugar is well integrated, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, maple syrup, and vanilla and mix on medium speed until well-combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined, about 1 minute.
4. Place the remaining cane sugar on a small plate. Roll the dough by the tablespoonful into balls that are about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Roll each ball lightly in the cane sugar and place on the prepared cookie sheets 1 ½ inches apart
5. Bake the cookies until set and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool briefly on the pan, then place on cooling racks to cool completely.