Cold soba noodles and hot, grilled tofu make a quick summer dinner.
Makes 3-4 servings
Time: 25 minutes, plus marinating time
Cooking Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
1 package (14 oz.) firm water-packed tofu
1/2 cup preservative-free tamari
1/4 cup rice vinegar (preservative-free)
1 tablespoon organic local honey
1 tablespoon minced organic garlic
1 tablespoon grated fresh organic ginger
1 teaspoon naturally prepared chile sauce
1/2 lb dried soba (buckwheat) noodles
3 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil, plus more for brushing
1 organic yellow pepper, seeded and cut into matchsticks
1/2 pound organic snow peas, trimmed
1/2 pound small organic cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 cup sliced organic green onion
1. Drain tofu, wrap in paper towels, and place a plate with a weight (such as a full can) on top. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the tamari, vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger and chile sauce.
2. Cut tofu into 6 slices (each about 5/8 inch thick). Cut slices in half to form 12 square blocks, and place in zip-lock plastic bag. Pour all but 1/4 cup tamari mixture (cover and refrigerate reserved portion) over the tofu, expel air, seal, and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight, turning tofu occasionally.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add soba noodles and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and transfer to a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and the reserved marinade and pour over noodles. Add the vegetables and green onion and toss to combine.
4. Heat a grill to medium-high. Oil the grill rack well (See Note). Transfer the tofu slices to a plate and brush lightly with oil.
5. Lay the tofu slices on the grill rack and grill, turning once, until well marked and heated through, 4 to 6 minutes. (Alternatively, preheat a grill pan over high heat, brush lightly with oil, and cook tofu slices until well marked, 4 to 6 minutes total.) Transfer to plates and serve with the soba noodle salad.