Quinoa and Orange Pilaf Recipe
YIELD: 6 servings
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup organic Mandarin oranges canned in pear juice or other natural syrup
1/4 cup organic lemon juice
1/4 cup cane syrup
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup expeller-pressed canola oil
1 cup dried organic cranberries
1 cup shelled organic edamame beans, cooked and chilled
3 organic green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked quinoa
1/2 cup organic feta cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread slivered almonds on a baking sheet and bake about 5 minutes or until almonds are golden brown.
3. Drain Mandarin oranges and reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from can.
4. In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, cane syrup, pepper, and reserved liquid from Mandarin oranges. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil until a dressing forms.
5. In a large bowl, combine cranberries, edamame, green onions, almonds, dressing and cooked quinoa. Gently stir in mandarins. Let salad rest at room temperature for 10 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Serve topped with feta cheese if desired.
Tip: This recipe works well with other grains too! Just substitute the quinoa with an equal amount of barley, bulgur, wheat berries, brown rice or your favourite grain.